What are the benefits of body tapping?
Body tapping is a form of self massage that uses pressure instead of needles to stimulate the body's meridian points. When these points are stimulated, it can help improve your overall health and wellbeing.
By stimulating your meridian points - a foundation of traditional Chinese medicine - body tapping can help improve energy levels, sleep, stress and anxiety levels, and immunity.
Body tapping can be used to help alleviate emotional pain, physical pain, balance energy flow and restore balance to the energy system and also to relieve stress.
What is body tapping?
Body tapping, also known as meridian tapping, is a technique that can be used to improve your overall health and wellbeing. By stimulating your meridian points, you can boost your energy levels, get better sleep, reduce stress and anxiety, and strengthen your immune system.
Your meridian points are located throughout your body. These points are believed to be connected to your body’s energy flow, and when they are stimulated, it can help to improve your overall health. To tap into your meridian points, you can use your fingertips to lightly tap on specific points on your body or you can use a body tapper.
Another phrase used to refer to body tapping is the emotional freedom technique also known as eft tapping. This technique uses similar tapping points to those used in body tapping, but also includes a focus on positive affirmations and visualisation.
EFT tapping has achieved some notoriety in the media due to its use by Prince Harry in conjunction with EMDR - Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing - and it's claimed ability to help people relieve symptoms of a wide range of issues including:
- Stress and posttraumatic stress disorder
- Pain management
Tapping in TCM - Pai Sha
In traditional Chinese medicine, there is a tapping technique called Pai Sha. This is also called strike therapy and can be used to treat pain and inflammation. Pai Sha is a form of body percussion that involves using a specialised tool to hit the body rhythmically. The Hay'ou Bamboo Body Tapper was created specifically for this purpose.
In the same way that cupping and gua sha are used in TCM treatment rooms, tapping can help to increase energy flow - qi - by stimulating points on the body. Tapping may also assist to boost circulation which may be hampered or stagnant due to stress, poor sleep and hydration and dietary issues.
How to do tapping therapy
To get started with meridian tapping, find a comfortable place to sit or lie down on your eco friendly yoga mat. Make sure you won’t be interrupted for a few minutes. It is important that you are comfortable and can remain still during the tapping process.
You will also need to identify the points that you want to tap on. You can use your fingers or a body tapper to tap on these points. Once you have located the points that you want to tap on, you can begin the tapping process.
To do this, you will need to:
- Use your fingers or body tapper to tap on the point firmly but not too hard.
- Tap each point around 10 times.
Most common meridian points for tapping
There are a number of different points that you can tap on, but some of the most common ones include:
- The karate chop point - located on the outside of your hand - this is good for when you are feeling stressed or anxious
- The eyebrow point - located at the beginning of your eyebrows - this point can be good for tapping when you are feeling angry or frustrated
- The side of the eye point - this is located on the bone next to your eye - this point can be good for tapping when you are feeling overwhelmed or sad
- The under the eye point - this is located on the bone below your eye - this point can be good for tapping when you are feeling tired or sleepy
- The under the nose point - obviously, this is located just below your nose - this point can be good for tapping when you are feeling anxious or stressed.
- The chin point - located just below your bottom lip - tapping this point can assist when you are feeling angry or frustrated.
- The collarbone point - this is located at the beginning of your collarbone - tapping along this point can help when you are feeling anxious or stressed.
- The underarm point - this is located on the inside of your upper arm about 10cm below your armpit - this point can be good for when you are feeling tired or sleepy.
These are just some of the most common points that you can tap on. There are many other points that you can explore.
When you are finished tapping, it is important to take a few deep breaths and relax. You may find that after doing some body tapping, you feel more relaxed and have more energy. If you do not feel any different after doing some body tapping, that is okay too. Some people may feel an immediate difference while others may need to do it more regularly to see results.
How can tapping work improve my health?
There are a variety of ways that body tapping can improve your health.
By stimulating specific acupressure points, you can:
Improve your energy levels
If you’re feeling tired or run down, body tapping can give you a much-needed energy boost.
Get better sleep
If you have trouble sleeping, body tapping can help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
Reduce stress and anxiety
By tapping specific meridian points, you can help to reduce stress and anxiety levels.
Improve blood circulation and make you feel more awake
Tapping on the body can help increase blood flow, reduce physical tension and also make you feel less drowsy. I keep my body tapper near my desk so that if I hit a mid afternoon slump, I can tap around my body and head and feel more energised.
Tapping is a simple, easy way to stimulate your body and improve your overall health and wellbeing. By tapping on specific points, you can achieve a number of benefits such as improved energy levels, better sleep, reduced stress and anxiety, and a stronger immune system.
Most common points for body tapping are: the karate chop point, eyebrow point, side of the eye point, under the eye point, chin point, collarbone point and underarm point. You can do tapping by yourself or with the help of a body tapper. Some people may feel an immediate difference while others may need to do it more regularly to see results.
Body tapping is just one of many ways that you can improve your health naturally.